Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Collard Greens: A new old vegetable

I know I hadn't had collard greens before and I'm sure many others haven't either.  But since I joined this food co-op we've gotten some "new" and different vegetables that I haven't tried before, like collard greens and kale, that I now have to figure out how to cook.

On Sunday we boiled them until tender then sauteed them in olive oil with some salt, pepper, garlic, lemon juice and bacon bits.  Very tasty.  Tonight I decided to make a meal of them.  I started by cutting some beef and chicken in to cubes and browning it in a bit of olive oil.  Then added in minced onion, garlic, S&P.  Cut the thick stems off the collard greens and chopped them into smaller pieces and sauteed them with the meat.  When the meat was browned sufficiently I added in a cup of brown rice and the rest of the collards chopped into medium pieces along with 2 cups of water.  I simmered the whole deal on the stove for about an hour and a half and dinner was served. 


Tasty, filling and easy.  The adults liked it, the 2yo not quite sure about it, but she did eat some.

No comments:

Post a Comment