Tuesday, January 5, 2010

What's for Dinner Tonight? 1/7/2010

So, while I'm posting I thought I'd just keep on keeping on... and post the recipe for dinner tonight.

When cold weather hits all I want to eat is soup.  Lots and lots of soup.  Unfortunately not every one in my house is amenable to eating soup every night (and sometimes not at all, kids, sheesh!) :-)  But it's soup night tonight and I had a hankering for Mushroom Beef Barley.

8 cups water
2 - 4 Tbsp beef boullion
1 lb cut of tender steak, cut into small spoon-sized cubes
2 cans of mushroom pieces
2 medium carrots, diced
1 medium diced onion or 1 Tbsp dried minced onion
1 cup barley
2 bay leaves
Salt and Pepper to taste

Put it all in a pot and let it cook at least 1 hour to get the barley tender.  This soup is even better the next day after the flavors have melded well and the barley has made the broth a nice "milky" consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment