Friday, November 18, 2011

Kefir

I've gotten into making my own kefir lately.  A wonderful friend gifted me with some of her kefir grains to get me started.  And woah have I gotten started ;-)

If you don't know what kefir is, it's a thin drinkable yogurt-style drink.  Pretty up there in price at the grocery store, and very inexpensive to make at home (just the cost of milk).  Difference between yogurt and kefir is the symbiotic relationship between the beneficial bacteria and yeasts that make up the kefir grains used to make it.  The grains kind of look like small curds of dry cottage cheese or small bits of creamy cauliflower.

So far I've made kefir drink nearly every day (since the end of August), kefir spoonable yogurt, kefired garlic carrots, and kefir-kraut (sauerkraut without salt) - on my second batch as of today.

No comments:

Post a Comment