Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Bread Baking

I've been baking sourdough breads lately. Lots and lots of sourdough bread. I started my own starter by letting the starter develop it's own yeast and grab what it could out of the air. Neat process. Takes a bit of forethought in the baking as it has taken up to 17 hours for the dough to double in size. But I've found that now that the starter is older it doesn't take as long. This batch did what I wanted for doubling in about 4 hours! I think that's a record. The rolls I'm making currently are light and tasty - when I baked the first batch a 2nd batch was immediately requested because the first is awaiting a party... Lightly sweet with a soft texture.

I've also been experimenting with pasta. Made egg pasta spaghetti last night with an alfredo-style sauce with chicken and mushrooms. Quite tasty. The girls and I will be having it again for dinner tonight. Today I made ravioli style pasta for lunch. Stuffed with cottage cheese flavored with garlic, oregano and basil. It turned out too runny in the filling. I think it needs to be drier. But the pasta was lovely, light and tender. I'll toss some recipes up when I have a few more minutes. For now I'm getting ready for a b'day party this weekend. Little one is turning 1!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment